Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Awesome Day Off

Whew, Practically a whopping two weeks! What have I been doing? Honestly? I'm not too sure. Oh there are the days that stick out (specifically the weekends) but mostly it has all been running together like a blur. The weekend that I missed updating was very boring. I went out, slept in and then went to the craft store. The craft store was a nice little adventure but NOTHING compared to this past wonderful weekend with my "family". My group here in Korea is a tight little pack :D We get along famously and we all love spending time with one another. Time for a short photographic overview.

Let us begin here. Pizza! After a long night of reuniting with friends we decided to recuperate with some greasy, delicious, pizza! We ordered a supreme, with all of the trimmings, and a bulgogi (marinated beef) pizza. YUM!

Then we went on a romp about town after a short burst of shopping and found this quaint little coffee shop that I had to get a picture of. I have to say, the fact that we passed this shop wasn't as big a deal to me as how proud I was of this nighttime shot :D

Then we went by a place you will be seeing more of very soon. Take a good hard look. Why yes, that IS Darth Vader, why yes he IS holding a sandwich, and why YES he IS in the Swiss Alps. Why? Oh no, you do not question why; you see, the focus for everyone upon viewing this (at least for the Americans, myself included) is the burger, not the Vader.

It being that the "Vader Burger" shop was closed, we decided to roam about and find...BBQ! I LOVE me some Korean BBQ. More likely than not you will be seeing BBQ pop up in the delicious feed of posts that are to come (heh, food pun). No more words, just admire...

Then my lovely family, who I actually do not have a decent photo of so what you see are actually only a few of them, and I decided we would make the most of our night out and watch the sunrise from a coffee shop nearby.

And we watched the sun come up over the buildings :D


Ok, skip forward a few days and I have the day off, YAY! Today I had the most splendid day off. I slept in late without worry about class or planning for the day. I picked up my apartment for a bit before meeting up with my friend Yo-Han to have a day on the town. After we ran an errand to pick up mugs and pottery made by our friends we went for coffee. Well, tea I suppose since that's what we got.

Next I was introduced to the most delicious and hazardous thing to my health, the Korean corn dog. Take a good look friends, it's a double battered stick of practically pancake batter, topped off with panko breadcrumbs and ketchup. It is my new favorite weakness.

Remember the Vader Burger poster I showed you? Well during coffee the burger was brought up and immediately we had to seek it out. I knew it was near the Dakgalbi restaurants but could not for the life of me remember exactly where. So we set out down the four side streets lined with food and shops. Finally, third try being the charm, we found it. Crying with joy we looked over the menu, and prepared for a most epic feast.

The place itself, we observed, was actually a very quaint little shop, quite my style. We were baffled that no one else was there, it being dinner time, and this place being clearly superb to all other places (to us at least, who were craving burgers). The walls are lined with old school memorabilia consisting of Etta James' "At Last", Lucille ball, Audrey Hepburn, and retro adverts for all sorts of products. The only hint of it being 2011 was the TV blasting Kpop in the background, I tried my best not to be too mesmerized.

Next, our luscious burgers came. I bought a bacon burger with cheese, special sauce, and a fried egg! Just look at how pretty it is. Oh, and the onions aren't raw, they're practically caramelized in a beef stock-like sauce. YUUUUM!

Needless to say, not a morsel was left behind.

We still had some time to kill so we hit the arcade. They are everywhere, and you will never hear me complain! I love doing the shooting ranges, and I'm not too shabby I must say. The drawback is that there are always those damn crane machines that steal all your money and never give you a prize. Well today we had had just about enough, and Yo-Han looks at that crane machine and he says "I'm going to get one of those bears". Once the coins were fed into the machine his concentration was such that it would make a large child cry out in fear. The first few tries were a no go, but he was just playing with the machine, lulling it into a false sense of security when BAM! He whipped that crane claw around so fast it swung down and around the bear with a grip like an anaconda, squeezing the bear's fluff stuffed torso to the point of bursting. But Yo-han was too quick for that, he whipped the crane around and sent the bear FLYING through the air towards the drop box. The box was in sight now, the bear clearly going in. Suddenly the bear made a plunge toward the ground as if propelled by some sick, cruel magnetism. Just before the bear reached the box it fell, teetering on the edge between victory and damnation. As if it were meant to be, a subtle breeze broke the silence around us, up into the crane machine, and as it whipped around in a clockwise motion to escape the machine, it blew the bear from it's perch into the sweet abyss of the PRIZE drop box. A victory was won, a hero was born, and a legend was written.

All in all things have been pretty spectacular. Heading to Seoul this weekend so hopefully I'll have more to tell you after. Not sure what we're doing yet but talk of a mexican restaurant reached my ears and suddenly the word "chimichangas" popped into my head, and my smile got juuust a little bigger. We'll see what happens, you never know what's out there until you go explore it right?

Until next time, this has been a lovely time, and I have thoroughly enjoyed writing this blog. I keep forgetting how nice it is to write, even if no one reads it all :D I hope the world is being kind to you, catch you on the flip side.

-Sara








No comments:

Post a Comment