Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Revelations 1:9



OK, time for yet another lovely update. It's Early January, and everyone is sick! The entire Jeonju/Gunsan crew is undergoing some kind of crazy illness. Here's how I'm coping so far: blueberry tea, spicy soup, sleeping 12+ hours, and my bus driver. Now, if you'll take note one of these things is not like the others. Why my bus driver? Well on Monday he found out I had lost my voice and offered to take me to the hospital. Not being a fan of fast medicine in general, especially the first day I'm sick, I declined. Still when we neared my home he pulled the bus over, got out, and bought me a bottle of hot soy milk. Then he proceeded to walk me to my home and made sure I went in, turned on the heat, and was going to get some rest.

The next day he did relatively the same, only he brought a friend to translate for him and wanted to come up and talk with me in my apartment. I was very hesitant at first but in the end I am glad that I said ok. He bought all of us hot soy milk and we sat on my floor talking about my life, his life, and how he worries that I am all alone in Korea. It turn out he has a son in the states, and a daughter about my age who lives elsewhere. It was after I heard this that I realized why he was doing everything that he was. He is treating me the way that he would one of his own children. Both of his had "left the nest" for greater opportunity elsewhere and now he and his wife were left with a quiet house. All he seems to be looking for is to have someone to look after, and what better opportunity than a foreigner? After all, my cultural and linguistic knowledge are toddler-esque at best.

Since day one he has been asking me to go to church with him and today it was presented to me again. I talked with him through his translator and he expressed that he didn't necessarily want me to go to the sermons, just the lunches and social gatherings to meet new people. If it were any other day I would have said "no" but I just to happened to read an article in the Washington Post about atheism' place in society. I am beginning to realize that though these people meet and have lunch at a church, the power behind that symbol is in the people. Without the belief that the church is a house of "god" it is just another assembly hall, and so it would be for me. My place is not to enforce segregation because of my own beliefs, but promote tolerance for those other than my own. And so I accepted their offer, and next week I will be going to at least one lunch.

ok, enough about my journey of self discovery, photo time!

Blast from weekends past, the Korean couple who co-owned the hostel we stayed at. They invited us to stay, party, and watch the ball drop.


The check-in table at the hostel. Everything always looks so nice :D Kudos Korea, for having some amazingly cute hostels!



The mural on the main living room wall, painted by a local art student.


About a week ago my day were filled with goodies. First I received my first plant in Korea from my 6th grade teacher...


Then I got the nicest little package of goodies from my good friend Mason. I tried to make them last as long as possible, but I think three days was the longest I could restrain myself haha. My favorites were definitely the stroopwafels, with their crunchy cookie outside and gooey filling. I only wih I had thought to get some hagen das ice cream and make sandwiches with them. They are certainly dangerous treats.


Well, that is all for now. Hope to have more coming your way in the next week. Things are bound to get interesting as Winter progresses into Spring. Stay tuned for our next exciting adventure, curing the common cold! I hope the world is kind to you :D

-Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment